Monday, December 31, 2012

Another Brick in the Wall


Happy New Year! And welcome to my blog. I have to say, I’m feeling the pressure to write something amazing to start off the New Year and inspire you to come back for more. I’m going to ditch the pressure and start with the frivolous, trivial stuff: my hair. Since I had chemo last Wednesday, there won’t be much growth for a few weeks. I have about 2 eyelashes, no eyebrows, and the 10% of my hair that’s gray, which is still growing. I keep it trimmed so I don’t look too shaggy.



Yesterday I spent a few hours with a good friend of mine. She bought her daughter a set of knitting looms for Christmas, and, since I’ve made a lot of hats on my knitting loom this year, I went over to give them a tutorial. I’m hoping her daughter will get the hang of it and have fun making hats for her mom. Because her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. Which really made me mad. I’ve just spent an entire year battling cancer, and I was more than ready to leave it behind me. And that definitely meant keeping my friends out of this unpleasant circle.

But I’m not a person who likes to be mad. Actually, I’m a great PollyAnna, always able to see the bright side or the silver lining. So I got over most of my anger quickly (there’s still some left, but I think it’s healthy to maintain animosity toward cancer).

When I was diagnosed, my lovely aunt started sending me little messages through Facebook. She had breast cancer years ago, and it seemed like she knew exactly what to bring up to help me through my journey. She reinforced the importance of faith and humor, and highlighted the advantages of being bald.

Other women came along, too. Sometimes it was a quick encounter in a store, or a stranger at an event, or an old family friend. A mom of one of the teen girls I work with at church was a big encouragement, and we’re talking about starting a support group for women who want to navigate cancer with grace and faith. I’m sure some people want to be done with cancer and forget all about it, but there are a lot of survivors out there who want to support women who are currently going through treatment.

So we build this hedge, or wall, brick by brick, person by person. People who had cancer guide those who come after them. Everyone’s experience is different, but it sure helps to know that people come through treatment and return to “normal” life afterward. Survivors are impossible to pick out in a crowd, and I was glad every time someone introduced herself.

I’m upset my friend has cancer. But I’m extremely impressed with how she’s handling it and using every opportunity to count her blessings and praise God for his sovereign control over this. Her approach blesses ME! And I’m very thankful my experience is fresh in my mind so I can walk alongside her, encouraging and supporting her. And maybe make a few hats for her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment