Friday, February 1, 2013

Your Hair is Getting So LONG!


This is what Mike has been saying all week. :) Can you see anything yet? It’s kind of hard to capture in a photo, but my hair, albeit very thin, really is noticeably longer every day. And I have stubbly eyelashes! No brows yet – except for one brow hair that grew ½” long overnight. You’ve had those weird hairs that appear out of nowhere, right? They just have to go, even if you’re cheering on every little millimeter of growth.



So today Mike and I are sitting in the Cancer Survivor’s Park in Palm Springs. There was one in San Diego, too, but we didn’t stop. We’re on a high perch – it’s not really a bench, but the only bench in the park was occupied by someone taking an early morning nap… The park is a very neat idea, and, after months of physically fighting cancer, it’s nice to take a moment and celebrate surviving.

I think I shared that within a week of finishing chemotherapy, I started wondering about recurrence. Wondering, worrying… so I bought a book. It talks about living in cancer’s shadow and it’s written by a Christian woman, so the content and values were exactly what I needed. By the way, I think she has the coolest job in the world – she gets paid to provide moral support to cancer patients! Maybe someday.

The book was an enormous help. It has lots of stories of how real people deal with surviving cancer. And she says “survival,” according to the American Cancer Society or some other high profile, trustworthy source, applies to anyone who is alive after a cancer diagnosis, whether it’s five days, five years, or fifty years. I like that definition a lot, because I sure don’t want to wait five years to say I’ve survived!

The story that helped me the most was about a gentleman with a terminal diagnosis. He wasn’t supposed to live long, but, before he knew he couldn’t be cured, he was planning on campaigning for an office. He decided to run in spite of his diagnosis. He was elected, and he survived many years after that. The story reminded me of my cancer treatment strategy (I called it Cancer Defiance): I planned to continue with life as planned. School and my teens at church would be my priorities, and I’d include whatever else I could, and only scale back if I needed to. This gentleman reminded me that I should have the same strategy for life after cancer. I’m going to concentrate on life, and living it more fully, based on what I’ve learned through cancer, and trust God with the rest. He knows if and when my cancer will return, and, if it does, He will give me the strength to deal with it – just like He gave me what I needed to get through all the past difficulties in my life.

Tomorrow we head back home: back to real life, including surgery and recovery. But first, we’ll spend a couple days with some of our favorite Canadians, making chili and watching football. Maybe this will finally be the year I win the pool!

Grace and peace to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment