Friday, June 17, 2016

My Dad Would NEVER Beat Up Your Dad

Oh, he probably could beat up your dad.

Because in his retirement, he bikes, golfs, hikes, and chases small grandkids. So he could.

But he wouldn't .ever. beat up anyone.

Because one of my favorite things about my dad is his kindness. And his patience. As a dad, he deserves a medal of honor for the infinite number of hours he spent listening to my teenage self ramble on and on and on. Older translations of the Bible used "long-suffering" in place of patience,  but if my outpourings ever felt like long-suffering to him, he never let on.

So Dad, officially, thank you for your patient, listening ear. Being able to confide in you during those early mornings and those car rides was something I really needed then and still value today.


This is from 2008! Note to self: take more pictures with Dad!

You want to know why else my dad is amazing? (Well, good, because I'm going to go on. And on and on. Like my teenage self. See, I'm already rambling.)

It's little things, like passing on a love for puns and ice cream. And a love of science, although I didn't figure that out until well into adulthood. And NOT passing on his unbelievably early morning wakefulness. He did not-so-little things like taking us camping and building us a really cool toy cabinet when we were kids (it was way too big to be just a toy box!). And like owning a copper-colored Cutlass when we were small (maybe that is why copper is one of my favorite colors) and forgiving me for infecting him with chicken pox - he was SO sick!

It's big things, too, of course. He has always been a great example of a servant leader in our family and in his community, and even at work. He was a really successful salesman, which was hard for me to figure out because he is the most UN-salesman-like person. But his clients knew he understood their needs and had their interests in mind. They knew they could trust him and rely on him. So the sales awards were frequent and he was a great provider for our family.

Of all the ways my dad is fantastic, his spiritual example is hands down the absolute best. Not only did he choose two very godly women as our moms (that sounds weird: they weren't simultaneous!) and take us to church and youth group and camp consistently, but he also clearly loved God and demonstrated what it looked like to follow Him. When my sister and I were small, he read stories and prayed with us before bed. One of those nights, he prayed with us when we asked Jesus into our hearts. And when I got older, if he wasn't traveling for work, I knew he'd be in his office when I woke up, with his Bible open, studying and praying. Of course, I wasn't shy about interrupting that, and he was kind enough not to turn me away.

A few years ago he offered me a piece of art that had hung in his office for decades. It's a train made out of clock pieces. He suggested it because my husband is a railroad engineer. I accepted it because it reminds me of his faithfulness in spending time with God. 



Isn't it cool? A friend of his made it.


The Bible describes God as our heavenly father. Depending on your father here on earth, this can be something that comforts you or makes you want to run away (if it's the latter, don't run! God is a perfect, loving father, who longs to be gracious to you). I'm so thankful my dad is an outstanding example of a father. I am sure that is a huge factor in my ease in trusting God.

Dad, you were my hero from Day 1, and you always will be. Thank you for being an excellent dad through all the stages of my life. With you, I always knew I was loved and valued, regardless of how difficult life was or I was. And because of you, following Jesus has been fairly easy for me. I love you more than I can ever express. Happy Father's Day!



Ha! I found one that's only one year old.

1 comment: