Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Favorite Christmas Song

Merry Christmas! 

I was planning to tell you about my favorite Bible story this month, because it happens to be a Christmas story, but it's 11:30 on Christmas eve and my lovely little nieces are going to be up by 7:30am, and I don't want to miss any part of their Christmas morning. Especially knowing how cool their Christmas present is (the one their parents just finished assembling). I can't wait!

Instead, I'll share my absolute favorite Christmas song with you.

Warning: I have weird taste in Christmas music. I love all the traditional carols, but one of my favorite songs is Aimee Mann's "The River," which is more about running away than celebrating Christmas. The chorus says, "I wish I had a river I could skate away on." I think skating miles on a river appeals to this Midwest girl. Another favorite is "In the Bleak Midwinter."

In contrast, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is also on the favorites list: doesn't get much cozier than that! And I love those J-I-N-G-L-E Bells. :)

But my hands-down favorite is another somewhat melancholy one. It's also obscure - maybe because it's reflective and not very celebratory, it's not played much. It's called "Breath of Heaven" or "Mary's Song."

I like it because, years ago, the chorus resonated so deeply with me. She has four requests of Jesus:

  • hold me together
  • be forever near me
  • lighten my darkness
  • pour over me your holiness

If Mary, while she's carrying baby Jesus, after she's been visited by an angel who confirmed this crazy scenario, still feels the need for God's presence and still feels like she's falling apart, certainly it's OK if I feel like that!

I'll leave you with the lyrics, a YouTube link so you can listen, and a blessing on your Christmas Day: may you feel love and peace in abundance, whatever your circumstances and whatever your day looks like. Much love from me to you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOQRtYYERGo

I have travelled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And I wonder what I've done.
Holy Father you have come,
And chosen me now to carry your Son.
I am waiting in a silent prayer.


I am frightened by the load I bear.
In a world as cold as stone,
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now,
Be with me now.

Breath of Heaven,

Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of Heaven.
Breath of Heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of Heaven.


Do you wonder as you watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place,
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.
Help me be.
Help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment