Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Breast Cancer's Tricky Little Sister

This is an exercise from my writing workshop this week: Write about your antagonist (the threat that forces change). Bonus - this one's short! :)





My gynecological oncologist calls ovarian cancer "Breast Cancer's Little Sister." Sounds sweet: like blonde pigtails and pink bows.

Well, I probably don't have to tell you that this little sister's got bite!

Big sister breast cancer hogs all the attention. And all the funding. Just after my breast cancer diagnosis, my dad pointed out that having a common cancer means loads of research has been done and lots of patients have gone before me, giving doctors a clear path to follow.

Early stage breast cancer is no picnic, but we know how to bring her down.

I don't think ovarian cancer covets the spotlight. 

She likes to hide in her big sister's shadow. She's sneaky. She's hard to find and hard to defeat. Without a lot of exposure, we don't know all her wily ways, and she's adept at evasive actions. Our counter measures aren't sure - sometimes they feel like a shot in the dark.

But in the dark I can hear her laughing, and I'm going after her with the full arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment