Tuesday, October 29, 2013

How to Celebrate a Birthday

What do you do for a beautiful fall birthday? My husband thought we should do something like this:



He wants to be sure I am celebrated properly. But I was ready for a quiet day at home, so instead I started out with my new friends in the Livestrong cancer survivor program at the YMCA. After cardio, we did some strength & flexibility with exercise balls. I'd like to say we look like this:



But in reality, it's a lot more like this:



Next on the agenda, after a shower and lots of Facebook birthday greetings, Mike and I went to lunch. We indulged in chicken wings. Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, so we had leftovers for dinner. Nice!



Then, a few errands, including a stop at Target to get an essential piece of my Halloween costume. You see, I have chemo tomorrow, so I'm going to go in costume... as my oncologist! She has a pretty distinct style (button down, black fleece/pants/shoes, always the same jewelry), and I'm hoping she gets a kick out of my imitation. I just needed a black fleece to finish my "costume." And, bonus, I found this cute motorcycle-inspired vest, too. Happy birthday to me!



Next up, pumpkins and Halloween treats. And calls from family and friends as well as more of the flood of Facebook birthday greetings. Makes a girl feel pretty special.






This was our first time carving pumpkins with those fancy tools and templates. I chose a simple pattern, and Mike went for something more complex. Since I was also separating out the pumpkin seeds and roasting them, we finished at the same time. We're pretty pleased with our results!




Now, our feet are up and we're enjoying a few of our favorite DVR'd programs.

All in all, this was one of my favorite birthdays ever. Life is good and full of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment