Monday, October 7, 2013

Happy Birthday to Two of My Favorites

Today's blog challenge: go without something for a day and write about it.

I'm going to go with something else because I'm not sure what I would give up that would create an interesting story. I watch too much TV, but a couple days ago, I didn't watch any... and didn't realize it until the next day. It could be Diet Coke, but, while I can wax poetic about it's sweet, effervescent, calorie-free comfort, when I don't have it, I don't crave it. Sugar is another possibility, but we recently decided to give up sugary snacks 3 days a week, and it's not a struggle. My phone - I do this at camp every year, and it's always a nice break. It could be my dog or my husband, but when I'm away from them, it's quiet and peaceful, but also lonely, no fun, and just feels wrong.

So, instead, I want to honor two great women in my life who both celebrated their birthday today.

First, one of my two "bestest" friends. We say we've known each other since we were four, but we lived across the street from each other when we were born, so it could predate that. Maybe because of this, she understands me better than anyone else in the world. And she knows all my secrets. Our husbands are very similar, and, curiously, share many traits with our other "bestest" friend. Being with her is to be completely comfortable - understood and never judged. 

Not to mention that she is living out our childhood dreams. We were totally horse crazy. The culvert at the end of our street was always a horse. It was long enough that we could even make it bounce out at the end like a trotting horse. And then camp came along, with real horses for us to moon over. I had a horse of my own for awhile. She was beautiful, but the wrong horse for me, and, sadly, soured me on the concept. But my friend, she not only has a couple horses, but she managed to infect both of her boys with the horse-loving bug, so now it's a family affair. 

During her sixth birthday party, my sister was born. 

My sister is an amazing woman. And complex. She easily carries off leading a global team at a large corporation AND being enthusiastic about having a "Puppy Weather" app loaded on her phone, showing an adorable puppy every day along with the weather report. She's politically savvy and will worry somewhat obsessively about a baby bird out of its nest. Her heart is as big as they come. But my favorite thing about her is her unique ability to stand her ground and speak her mind. Somehow, she can frankly tell us we're completely off base without letting us doubt her love or feel offended. I still can't figure out how she does that!

S & B, this is one of my favorite days of the year! I love that you share a birthday on this day, and I love celebrating both of you on the same day. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment